Saturday, August 1, 2009

Rest Day

With all of these posts about food, what to eat more of, and what to eat less of, I figured I would give you a hand with what exactly to cook with a few recipes that we LOVE. Most of the recipes I make come from Elana's Pantry. She has Celiac disease and Multiple Sclerosis (both auto-immune disorders) so she follows a very strict, basically Paleo diet. She has a husband and two sons who eat pretty much the same way she does even though not all of them have similar health issues (I think just one of her sons has Celiac). She was recently featured in an article on cafemom.com in which she mentions how much better her whole family feels on a gluten-free, mostly Paleo diet (I think her family eats some dairy, but she doesn't). Anyhow- she writes wonderfully, delicious recipes using alternative ingredients, and most of her desserts are BETTER than their gluten-laiden counterparts. So many of her recipes are offered for free on her website, but she also has a cookbook coming out right about now (which I am eager to get!). You can find her book here on Amazon (as well as other places linked from her website). Here are a few of our favorite recipes from her:
(yes, most of our faves are treats because that is usually the one thing we miss with eating Paleo, but she has all types of recipes)

Brownies
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin Pie Muffins
Lemon Walnut Pesto (I used basil instead of parsley)
Chocolate Cream Pie
Banana Bread/Cake
Carrot Muffins

I admit that not all of her recipes we have especially loved (mostly some of her breads), but part of that is due to me screwing up the recipe or cooking time. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get a recipe right. I will continue trying some of her newer bread recipes, like Nutty Bread. Keep in mind that all with of the recipes that call for almond flour you need to pack it down when you measure it. Also, in a lot of her recipes she uses agave nectar as a sweetener, I like to sub maple syrup or honey, or a mixture. The brownies are delicious with maple syrup:)

I hope you all try some of these recipes, and let me know if you have any questions! Thank the heavens for almond flour!!
~Laney

"My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." ~Michael Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment